Sue’s Anti-Bullying Week Special – Expert Interview with Liam Hackett, Ditch the Label
Posted by: Juliette
Liam Hackett is the founder and CEO of equality and anti-bullying charity Ditch the Label
Ditch the Label launched based on Liam’s experiences of bullying. Since then, DTL has grown rapidly into becoming an international movement and a lifeline for thousands worldwide.
They are one of the largest pro-equality and anti-bullying charities in the world.
Their award-winning work spans across the UK, USA and Mexico; promoting equality and empowering people aged 12-25 to overcome bullying. They are a digital charity, which means that most of their support is provided online through their website and partnerships with games and social networks.
It is estimated that every 3 minutes somebody will benefit from their support.
Each month, thousands of people benefit from their pioneering digital support programs. They have a team of digital support mentors who empower people to overcome bullying through their website and partnership with other online communities. They provide one-to-one and group help and produce widely used self-help guides and materials. They don’t just talk about bullying, they help people through things such as mental health, coming out and low self-esteem.
They’re scientific in their approach.
They produce pioneering research to understand the changing nature and trends of bullying. They then use their research as a starting point for innovation and share their findings with other charities, educators and the general public.
They challenge societal norms.
They regularly collaborate with other organisations, celebrities, thought leaders and real people to produce public awareness and educational campaigns. The campaigns are designed to change how people see themselves and those around them.
They don’t just help those who experience bullying..
They see bullying as a behavioural issue. Like all behaviours, there is a root cause and a remedy for change. They understand the root causes and they provide the remedies for change. Not only do they help those who have been bullied, but those who are doing the bullying too, because there is no such thing as a ‘bully’ or ‘victim’. It’s a behaviour and not an identity.
Here are 5 Facts about Ditch The Label
- They are a digital anti-bullying charity, which means that most of their support services are provided online, integrated within environments that are authentic, approachable and comfortable to young people.
- They support people who are doing the bullying, too, because they recognise that bullying is a behaviour. Like all behaviours, there is a root cause and a remedy for change. Reactive support is important, but proactive support is the only way in which we can prevent bullying from happening in the first place.
- All of their interventions are evidence-based, which means that they are continuously using data and innovation to improve the support that we provide to young people.
- They don’t patronise young people; instead, they empower them with skills, techniques and knowledge that enable them to resolve their own situations.
- They’ve won multiple awards in recognition of their work, campaigns and research.
Connect with Ditch the Label
Don’t Stew – Ask Sue Parenting Q & A
I feel for both you and your son and have detailed below some of my resources that I hope will support you.
The Sue Atkins Signs Your Child Is Being Bullied & What To Do About It – Bullying is an intentional, aggressive and repeated behaviour that involves an imbalance of power or strength. It’s NEVER acceptable &; NEVER ignore it! In this FREE Checklist, we look for the signs, how to deal with and support your child and how to get help.
My Webinar: Bullying – Ways to Prevent, Manage & Handle It
Quick Win Series – Teens and Bullying
My Parenting Club Online
To access the full webinar and my Quick Win Series, you need to sign up for my Parenting Club Online, but also want to make you aware that if you need my support you can upgrade the classic membership and also have a one-to-one telephone consultation with me on a monthly basis at the fraction of the cost of the my Coaching Course / Sessions. Your membership can be downgraded at any time to the Classic Membership once you feel you no longer need my coaching sessions for either you or your son.
I can support yo
Free ebook, The Positive Parent Daily Workout
Simply enter your details below to get your very own copy of “The Positive Parent Daily Workout” and learn tips and tricks to use every day with your own children.