SAPS103 Sue on BBC Radio talking about ‘Lawnmower Parents, ‘Don’t Stew Ask Sue’ on Cotton Wool Kids and Your Child and Social Media Obsession plus Sue in Conversation With Louise Mercieca author of ‘How Food Shapes Your Child’
Posted by: Kevin Mulryne
Christmas Holiday Special! In this episode
I’m on BBC Radio talking about Lawnmower Parents!
We have a couple of ‘Don’t Stew, Ask Sue’ questions from my postbag –
The Dangers of Creating Cotton Wool Kids and Your Child and Social Media Obsession
I am in conversation with Louise Mercieca, author of ‘How Food Shapes Your Child’ – to listen to the full interview, please click on the link below:
Connect with Louise
Don’t Stew – Ask Sue Parenting Q & A
This obsession is not for kids 😢
Here is an article that you might find interesting:
Here are some tips for you:
- Discuss real friendship v superficial online
- Chat about what real friends are, do, & behave eg they talk, listen and are there in real life to ‘do’ things with & like you no matter who you are & through thick & thin
- Talk about that people only put up positive ideal lives so your daughter starts thinking 🤔about that !
- Build her self esteem so she’s strong on the inside not just externally getting attention or reinforcement about who she is on the outside
Anxious parents are raising a generation of ‘cotton-wool kids’ who are denied the independence, experience and education that comes from exploring the outdoor world.
Here my questions for you to ‘Pause To Ponder’
- What amount of time do your kids usually play outside?
- Do you feel it’s enough?
- How could you make a small change that would make a big difference, over time, if you found new ways to get your children out in the fresh air playing?
- How do you feel about safety, freedom and allowing your children to play unsupervised?
- How do you get a balance between keeping them safe and allowing them freedom to explore?
- What are your concerns?
- Are they rational?
Here is an article you might find useful
Free ebook, The Positive Parent Daily Workout
Simply enter your details below to get your very own copy of “The Positive Parent Daily Workout” and learn tips and tricks to use every day with your own children.